Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Burn Update

 

It has been longer than I meant to give everyone an update on Austin’s condition. He is doing awesome considering. We did get a small infection in his ear though and if it wasn’t for Austin we wouldn’t have noticed it as early as we did. That story later.

We switched our services to Dr. Brown instead of the burn clinic since I just don’t trust them anymore. I gave them an extra chance. I don’t want to deal with the male nurse practitioner anymore. I liked the female practitioner there though.

We also went to Arizona for a week. That was a blast, and everyone should be jealous if they didn’t get to come there with us. :) just kidding. I was afraid that we would end up burning his burn there and not keep hydrated but we made it with no sunburns except for the part in my hair, urg. At least it was me and not someone else. Austin did develop a water blister on the back of his ear. We think it was from playing in the misters at one of the playgrounds in Arizona. We didn’t realize how wet he had gotten I guess.

Now for the story: Austin likes me to take pictures of his ear so he can see it. I know, he is SO my child, :) Well, we got this new camera and I don’t know how to use it yet. So when I took the picture, Austin looked to have an elfish ear. I blamed it on my angles and tried again. Nope still there. That is when I looked closer at Austin’s ear. It was inflamed, hot to the touch, and had an odd color to it. I called up Dr. Brown’s office and had an antibiotic to give him by the afternoon. Thank goodness we went to see Dr. Brown 2 days prior so he was comfortable to call that in. I had no time that Friday with activity day and other responsibilities to take him to the doctor too! If Austin hadn’t of asked for a picture that day we would have noticed it, and prob. would of had a full fledged scary infection on our hand! Thank you Austin for taking care of yourself!

Here are some pics of his progress:

IMG_0693IMG_0694

May 3rd

IMG_0704 IMG_0706

      May 7th                                     May 8th                 

IMG_0713 P1000249

            May 15th                                           May 16th

P1000292 P1000293

May 21st- at Dr. Brown’s office. The red area on the back is where the water blister was.

P1000315

May 29th (today)

As you can tell there are some days that look great and then other days look horrible. The bad days were when his wrap fell down at night. We are no longer wrapping his head as of today. We are nervous about it but I think it will be for the better since there have been so many little things with the wrap that have delayed his healing process.

As you can see he is looking great. And I expect it to be completely back to normal with some thinker spots on his ear thanks to the scar tissue. His healing will be completely done in 1 year. yes, 1 year. So until then I must put sun block on him and have him wear a hat every time he leaves the house. But not too bad all in all…

No comments:

Post a Comment